Click Here for the:
“MJHS 8th Grade Cheerleading tryouts are currently postponed due to school closure for COVID-19. Please disregard all dates outlined below. Tryout packets should be completed and emailed to Coach Middleton at firstname.lastname@example.org. Tryout packets are now due Friday, April 27th via email. Please feel free to email any questions you may have. Due to the scheduling uncertainties caused by the current pandemic, it is impossible to confidently set a date and location for tryouts. New tryout dates will be communicated as soon as the tryout is scheduled.”
Contact Coach Middleton with any questions:
email@example.com or Mackenzie.Middleton@maryville-schools.org
Dear Candidate and Parent(s)/Guardian(s),
Thank you for your interest in being a member of the 2020 – 2021 Maryville Junior High School 8th Grade Cheerleading Squad. Please acquaint yourself with the following information and expectations of being considered for membership of the squad. Cheerleading is fun, friendship, excitement and a whole lot more. Being a MJHS 8th Grade Cheerleader is a selected position including a large commitment of time and energy. Please note this squad is comprised solely of 8th grade students.
Below, you will find a list of dates and events. The tryout application must be returned to the coach no later than Monday, April 6th by 3:30pm (see below for drop off locations). All interested candidates must complete the tryout applications, emergency treatment form and submit evaluation requests to his or her teachers by the above dates in order to be eligible. Candidates must be available and in attendance for the entire cheer clinic and tryout. Please keep pages 1-6.
Being a Maryville Junior High School 8th Grade Cheerleader is an honor. Cheerleading offers students an opportunity for growth in the areas of friendship, leadership, responsibility and communication. As a squad, we want to promote integrity, excellence, teamwork and service. Together, we can make the MJHS 8th Grade Cheerleading Squad successful and help lead our teams to victory.
I look forward to meeting each of you personally. If at any time you have questions, please do not hesitate to contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org.
MJHS 8th Grade Cheerleading Coach
2020 – 2021 MJHS 8th Grade Cheerleading Tryout Schedule and Due Dates
• Informational Meeting Monday, March 30th 6:00pm at MJHS- Parents are encouraged to attend
• Application, Permission Form, Emergency Treatment Form & Academic Classes Form Due Monday, April 6th Must be turned in to MJHS Main Office, CGIS Main Office or MRIS Main Office by 3:30pm NO EXCEPTIONS (Forms will be given out at the Informational Meeting on March 30th)2020 – 2021 Cheer Packet
• Teacher Evaluations Wednesday, April 8th All current teachers should submit recommendations by the end of day
• Grade Check Friday, April 10th All candidates must have a “C” average in all classes to be considered for the team
• Mandatory Clinic Monday, April 13th Tuesday, April 14th 3:45 – 5:30pm (may vary slightly) Where: MJHS Auditorium Attire: Red shorts, plain white t-shirt, socks, tennis shoes (or cheer shoes) and white bow with hair in ponytail
• Tryout Wednesday, April 15th 3:45 – Finished (approximately 6:30pm) Where: MJHS Auditorium Attire: Black shorts, plain white t-shirt, socks, tennis shoes (or cheer shoes) and white bow with hair in ponytail
• Results Wednesday, April 15th Posted electronically before 9pm
• Mandatory Uniform Fitting Monday, April 20th 3:45 – 6:30pm MJHS Auditorium
The entire clinic and tryout are closed. Only cheer candidates, coach and tryout help arranged by the coach will be allowed in the tryout area.
Candidates will learn and perform cheers, chants, jumps, a dance routine, stunts and tumbling (running and standing tumbling are recommended but not required.) The candidates will be judged on their individual cheerleading skills through the performance of cheers, chants, dance, jumps, tumbling and stunts during both clinic and the tryout performance. Squad selection will be based off each candidate’s overall clinic and tryout evaluation by coach and other tryout staff. All results are confidential.
2020 – 2021 MJHS 8th Grade Cheerleading Clinic Information
What: Mandatory Tryout Clinic – where tryout material will be taught by tryout staff
When: Monday, April 13th – Tuesday, April 14th Time: 3:45 – 5:30pm (may vary slightly)
Where: MJHS Auditorium Attire: Please wear red shorts with a plain white t-shirt, socks, tennis shoes (or cheer shoes). Absolutely NO jewelry. Hair should be in a ponytail, out of each candidate’s face with a white bow.
All forms must be completed and submitted by specified due date prior to tryout clinic
• Tryout numbers will be assigned to each candidate at the clinic
• Groups will be selected by coach and/or tryout staff
• Numbers must always be visible during clinic and tryouts • No videotaping by candidates will be allowed
• No cell phone usage is permitted by candidates while at the clinic The coach and other tryout staff may score candidates each day during clinic, and the clinic scores may be incorporated into the final score for each candidate.
2020 – 2021 MJHS 8th Grade Cheerleading Tryout Information
What: Mandatory Tryout
When: Wednesday, April 15th Time: 3:45 – Finished (approximately 6:30pm)
Where: MJHS Auditorium
Attire: Please wear black shorts with a plain white t-shirt, socks, tennis shoes (or cheer shoes). Absolutely NO jewelry. Hair should be in a ponytail, out of each candidate’s face with a white bow.
• Groups of 3 or more will be selected
• Each candidate in the group will be called one at a time to perform tumbling and jumps
• As a group, the candidates will walk to the center of the auditorium and line up in the order requested to perform selected tryout cheers, chants, dance and any additional material needed
• Numbers must always be visible during tryout
• The tryout is closed. No spectators are permitted.
• No videotaping will be allowed
• No cell phone usage is permitted by candidates while in the tryout room or holding areas.
After each group has completed the tryout, candidates will be dismissed into the holding area. This will continue until all groups have completed the tryout. Candidates may be called back; therefore, candidates will remain in the holding area until the tryout is concluded. The 2020 – 2021 MJHS 8th Grade Cheerleading Squad will be announced electronically before 9pm on Wednesday, April 15th.
All selected cheerleaders will be expected to abide by the rules and regulations set forth by the cheer coach, athletic director and administration of Maryville Junior High School. Cheerleaders who fail to adhere to the standards and guidelines will be penalized and can be dismissed from the team.
All selected candidates are committing to cheer both regular and post season for football and basketball. Cheerleading candidates must have a “C” average in all classes to tryout, and cheerleaders must maintain a “C” average in all classes to remain eligible to cheer.
All cheerleaders must participate in all MJHS Cheer commitments and activities including cheer camp(s), mat groups, practices, services activities, team building activities, regular season games, playoff games, tournaments and any other dates decided by the coach before other commitments (I.e. competitive cheer, other school activities, etc).
Mandatory Activities/ Dates:
Uniform Fitting: Monday, April 20th 3:45 – 6:30pm (Please wear appropriate undergarments for fittings: socks, sports bra, full-coverage underwear or spandex)
Summer Camp: Monday, June 9th – Wednesday, June 10th 9:00am – 3:00pm
Summer Practices: Monday & Thursday 9:00 – 11:30am (times subject to change)
Fall Practices: Monday & Thursday 3:45 – 5:00pm
Football Games: Schedule will be announced in the Summer
Basketball Games: Schedule will be announced in the Fall
Attire: $680-725+tax & shipping (Paid Approx. April 25th): Uniform, cheer shoes, bows, pom-poms, camp/practice clothes, sports bra, spandex, backpack, rain jacket, sleeves
Summer Camp Fee: $165 (Due April 20th at Uniform Fitting)
Camp Lunch Money: $20 Each cheerleader should bring camp lunch money in cash on the first day of camp.
Participation Fee: $20
Total Estimated Cost: $885-930 *Please feel free to reach out with any questions/concerns about costs
All forms will be given out at the informational meeting on March 30th.